Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Peak Brothers BBQ

I wish you could see the view from my apartment window right now.  It has been snowing since about 10 this morning and it is 7 right now and shows no sign of letting up.  My usual 10 minute commute home took about 50 minutes today.  With my 1.9 mile ride home, that means I was traveling at a rate of 2mph.  Even for me, the incredibly slow walker,  I think I could have walked faster than that.  I rarely tune into AM radio when it isn't Cubs season, but I did turn on WBBM to check the traffic report.  They said it was 3 hours and 15 minutes from downtown to O'Hare.  From personal experience, I can make it from O'Hare to my apartment in 20 minutes, so I can only imagine how slow going it is.  

I said that I would eventually blog about Peak's BBQ and I am not one to let you down.  Every year we order a ham at Christmas time, but we don't just go to the local store and pick out your average ham.  Since 1994, we have been getting our ham from Peak Brother's BBQ in Waverly, Kentucky.  I discovered this year that you can't just go online and order a ham or pick up the phone to have one shipped to you.  You have to know someone.  Lucky for me, my Dad knows someone.  So the person in the 'know' goes to Peaks, purchases the amount of ham that you want, and then ships it to you.  Quite a lengthy process for a piece of meat.  Now that I think of it, I would go through a process like that for Yellowfin Tuna Salad from Whole Foods if that's what was needed to get it done.  

Once you taste this ham, you won't go back.  I eat ham probably once a year, and this is the time to do it.  It has this blackened crust on the outside that makes it taste smoky and spicy without being overpowering.  We eat on it throughout the month of December, pulling that signature red bag out of the fridge, trying to come up with a new and inventive way to make ham more exciting than just a sandwich.  Ham omelets, ham sandwiches on toast, fried ham, green eggs and ham, ham soup, ham and beans, you name it, we make it with ham.  

If you don't know anyone from Waverly, KY but would like to get a taste of the ham, no worries, I 'know' someone.  If you have any great recipes for ham, please share them as I'm sure we'll be needing them.  

7 comments:

Abe said...

Ham is my absolute FAVORITE. I don't know what I'd do with a whole one, though...probably eat it for an entire month, like you said your family does. My favorite is the spiral cut and honey baked type...so delicious, and melts in your mouth!

And sorry to hear your commute was so bad :( I think my entire commute (including waiting for a train I could cram myself onto) was about an hour and 45 min., compared with the usual 30-40 min.

Anonymous said...

I had a Peek ham this Christmas and just had an omelet made with some leftovers. The ham is great! I was googling to find out where they are at and saw your story. My cousin made the drive to get ours-not that far - about 60 miles round trip, but SO worth it. The smoky rich taste is awesome and I'm not a big ham eater.

Candice said...

Hi ! Thank you so much for blogging about Peaks ! My grandfather started it going on 61 yrs ago ! we are soooo thrilled you feel it is worth all the trouble you go through !

Emily said...

Candice,

Thank you so much for writing. We really do love the ham every year. 61 years ago, wow. Hopefully you will be around for another 61 years! If I am ever in the area, I am definitely going to stop by. And just so you know I will continue to order the ham every year as our family tradition.

cadilacjax said...

I was looking the PH# up for my mom. We have relation coming to Ks. in a couple of weeks. We grew up near Waverly and want them to pick us up a ham to bring with them. Love it Love it!

Also have you tried their mutton, sliced or chopped is the best as well. Thanks for the story that hits so close to home.

Anonymous said...

I moved to the Indy area. I will tell you their ham is the BEST I have ever had and noone elses even compares. I understand that someone up north now has the recipe for this awesome ham. Help?

Chas. said...

First of all..PEAK BROTHERS have the very, very best ham on the universe!! (your Barbequed Ham, in particular). I love your mutton as well! In fact, I Tried MOON-LITE MUTTON OF OWENSBORO (KY)-only because they have online ordering and shipment. I want to say "they have "NADA" on your mutton"..[as in NADATHING]. But,..why in the world don't you offer online ordering in the digital age of today??..just wondering.